Wednesday, May 12, 2010

HORNSEA POTTERY

Lord knows I don't need to start collecting ANYTHING else...but vintage Hornsea pottery is SO tempting.


The Hornsea studio line was made in England from the 1950s to the 1980s and was popular there...but unfortunately, it's not that easy to find in the US. If you're willing to pay a pretty penny you can get pieces on ebay and etsy (mostly from overseas)...but the chances of stumbling upon some while thrifting aren't great. Unless, of course, you are lucky enough to live in the UK.


image above from Pips Trip



photo of blue bird ashtray above from Pips Trip


Here is the bird ashtray reappropriated as salt cellar! Love it. -- from H is for Home.


Most of my favorite pieces were designed by John Clappison. I kind of want to get this book on his life and work. From amazon UK, of course.


photos from: Hornsea pottery collectors flickr group; H is for Home; Pips Trip

5 comments:

  1. Oh man. I had no idea about Hornsea. I want all of it.
    Congratulations on the new house. Hope you guys are well.
    -Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good reason for you guys to come tour in the UK again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, my name is Pip and I'm from Pips Trip where you got some of the Hornsea images you've used here. In this instance I don't mind you using them (although I do prefer to be asked first) but I do need you to put a copyright notice to my website directly underneath each of the photos you've used (the black & white spice jars and the blue bird ashtray) rather than right at the bottom of the blog as you've done where it's not apparent which of the images used are mine. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Hornsea. Green heirloom reminds me of going round to friends' kitchens in the 70s. The jars were always out on the counter, on show.

    ReplyDelete