Sunday, April 3, 2011

TWO SHOWS


I went down to NYC on Friday to spend some time with my bestie of a zillion years, Tina, and see a couple shows I didn't want to miss: Sonia Delaunay at the Cooper-Hewitt and Maira Kalman at the Jewish Museum. Both were fantastic.

I'm super into pattern, color theory, and textile design right now and Sonia Delaunay has been a recurring source of inspiration. I admire how confident her work is...and the fact that her textile designs are just as painterly and kinetic as her larger abstracts.









And Maira Kalman? LOVE her. She is basically my mom's spirit guide. And I totally support that. She's smart, observant, funny, and completely unpretentious. And she makes art look FUN. Seeing all of her illustrations in person really made me want to break out my gouache and paint again. I haven't felt that way in a long time. Since I've got decorating on the brain I'm currently finding her renderings of interiors particularly inspiring. Here's a few from her NY Times blog turned book: And the Pursuit of Happiness:






No comments:

Post a Comment