Thursday, September 16, 2010

CONCORD GRAPE PICKING

On Monday Justin and I drove down to DuBois Farms in Highland to pick our own Concord grapes.

In case you don't already know, I'm a HUGE fan of Concord grapes. I basically have a countdown every year until the season starts in September...and proceed to eat as many as humanly possible right through October.

We ended up getting about 12 pounds worth. I plan on taking half of them and attempting to make some sort of grape jelly. I've never done it before...but how hard can it be? Anyone have any tips?




5 comments:

  1. oh your favorite, awesome! the first time i ever had a concord grape was with you. i remember i tried to eat the skin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so I've seen your blog before and think I've even commented once or twice, but my husband just referred me to your blog because he thought I would like it (which I do), and he told me that you are one of the members of Bishop Allen?! I just want to let you know that I love your songs. and your blog. And I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! a lot of people in the FLOW area had their first concord grape experience in the nowatka family kitchen. i love that.

    and technically you CAN eat the skin...but I am a fan of the -swallow the insides whole (seeds and all) and spit out the skin- method.

    ReplyDelete
  4. concord grapes!!!!!!! thank you so much for bringing it to my attention they're in season. off to the farmers market I go!

    (& just to throw my two cents in, i eat the skin and spit out the seeds)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a jelly recipe that I stumbled across that's supposed to be really good. http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/1769/Recipe.cfm

    ReplyDelete