Friday, April 16, 2010

BACKYARD DREAMING

On Monday we are going to write some of the biggest checks of our lives.  Lots of them.  And we will be getting an amazing house in return....but we are going to have VERY little money left over. So you would think I would be focusing on important things that we absolutely need for our first house.  You know...necessities.  Tables to eat off of, chairs to sit on, beds to sleep in.  But no...all I can think of are super fun things that are TOTALLY unnecessary.  Like a TIPI!

I mean...a tipi would be such a great addition to our first backyard. Right?  And we have a little patch of woods that wouldn't be good for a garden...but would be PERFECT for a tipi.  

Well, I did a little bit of research and I found a lot of companies that make and sell pretty authentic ones.  This site lists most of the places I came across.  Unfortunately, they are a little bit out of our budget.  Even the smallest, most basic models seem to cost over $1,000.  (As well they should.  After all, it is a HOUSE.)  Amazon sells a $250 makeshift version - but I think I'd rather hold out for the real deal.  And there is always the DIY route.  This guy made one himself using the book The Indian Tipi - Its History, Construction and Use.  His came out beautiful...but between the cost of supplies, extensive labor and math skills required for the project...I think I would rather pay someone else to do it. 

 So, looks like I better start saving up.  And honestly, I'm ready to say that we do, in fact, NEED a tipi.  And if you aren't already convinced...please scroll down to the pictures of the tipi interiors.  SO MAGICAL...right? 




So if you are looking for a good housewarming gift...a 10 to 12 foot tipi would be just fine. Thanks! 

1 comment:

  1. And when Justin's had too much fire water, you can toss him in the travois, and drag him out to the tipi so he can sleep it off.

    http://www.firstpeople.us/american-indian/people/ls/a-blackfoot-travois-a.jpg

    Maybe they make one you can mount on a cat.

    ReplyDelete